How long do patients have to stay in hospital after mastectomy?

In brief: Depends

Hospital stay depends on each individual patient and their respective surgeries.
In my practice, a patient who undergoes a routine, uneventful total mastectomy can be discharged home the day after surgery.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Greg Pahnke
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: 1 to 2 days

Most of my patients go home the next day.
Reconstruction adds to the above due to pain therefore add a day tram flap patients- it maybe 4 to 5 days my observation my 85 year old patients after a simple mastectomy are dressed and waiting for me at 0600 the next day wondering why I am late to send them home! the 30 year olds stay 1 to 2 days but they have the above reconstructions.

In brief: 1 to 2 days

Dr. Greg Pahnke
Dr. Greg Pahnke
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery