I was just diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism & my TSH was 16.33. How severe is that? I was prescribed Synthroid (thyroxine) 25 mcg but am still feeling side effects of hypo

Dr. David Geffner
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Wait

Tsh measures how robust your pituitary can respond to the degree of hypothyroidism you have.
It will take a few weeks to feel better if that is all you have.

In brief: Wait

Dr. David Geffner
Dr. David Geffner
Dr. Robert Lang
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Need more med

With a TSH of 16.
33 you have little or not thyroid function and will need more than 25 mcg daily to feed better. Ask you doctor if you condition allows for a higher dose.

In brief: Need more med

With a TSH of 16.
Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Not severe.

This degree of TSH elevation denotes significant but not particularly severe hypothyroidism.
Your initial dose of synthroid (thyroxine) may be a bit shy of what you'll eventually need. Your TSH level should be rechecked after 6 weeks of treatment. As your TSH gets into the normal range, you should be feeling better. Give it some time.

In brief: Not severe.

Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Dr. Steven Seres