How can I tell if a breast lump is cancerous?

You can't. You need a physician to see and examine you and order the proper tests!
Biopsy. It is often very difficult to distinguish between benign breast lumps and cancer by examination alone. While mammograms and ultrasounds may provide some useful information, the only way to be 100% certain is by performing a biopsy.
Mammogram & sonogram. Mammogram and ultrasound are first steps. Majority of lumps are cysts , non cancerous glandular tissue or fibrocystic change. Mammogram may or may not reveal lump, but ultrasound can distinguish a cyst (fluid pocket) from a solid mass. The majority of solid masses, especially in a woman less than 40 years old, are not cancerous.