How can I get rid of the nausea after chemotherapy?

Dr. Shelby Terstriep

In brief: Prevention

Prevention is the best treatment.
There are excellent meds that are given before chemotherapy to try to prevent nausea. If you experienced a lot of nausea make sure to talk to your medical oncologist for adjustments is these meds. If you have nausea use your anti nausea meds early (if your starting to feel just a little bit nauseated).

In brief: Prevention

Prevention is the best treatment.
Dr. Shelby Terstriep
Dr. Shelby Terstriep
2 comments
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Absolutely, prevention as a female physcian who had IV chemo--with prevention --very expensive drug was worth every penny, I experienced no nausea--but some lack of / or inability-dislike of certain foods and drinks. The chemo I had was taxotere and cytoxan.
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Zofran is one I suggest you may ask your doctor about. I agree about prevention as the best medicine. Great answer. Wishing you'all the best.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Prevention

I completely agree- prevention is the key here.
You have to be pro active in taking the anti nausea medication.There are a lot of medication used to prevent nausea-such as steroids, granisetron, zofran, (ondansetron) prochlorperazine, Lorazepam etc. Discuss with your oncologist further which medication/s would be the best for you. Other thing that you can consider-is ginger.

In brief: Prevention

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho

In brief: Prevention

Prevention is the best treatment.
Usually taking an anti nausea medication before hand will help. Talk with your oncologist about different options.

In brief: Prevention

Prevention is the best treatment.
Dr. Scott Grover
Dr. Scott Grover
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery