Does hormone replacement therapy increase your chances for breast cancer expotentionally?

Not exponentially. Data from the whi (women's health initiative) study show that estrogen alone does not significantly increase the risk of breast cancer, especially if started within 5 years of menopause. However, estrogen + Progesterone (needed when women still have a uterus to prevent uterine cancer) increases the risk of breast cancer to about 2x the baseline risk. Progesterone appears to be the "bad guy".
No. But long-term exposure is probably assocaited with a greater risk of breast cancer. But the actual risk is hard to prove and is certainly not exponential. Still, best not to take ert for more than 5 years unless you are very sympomatic from menopausal symptoms.
Absolutely Not. The whi as now reviewed was a very poor study overall and likely answers few clinical questions. I agree with the former answer that the progestin component was implicated but would not implicate Progesterone specifically. It was provera, (medroxyprogesterone) a synthetic Progesterone used in the study. The study population does not represent the typical patient we see. You need a consultation with hormone dr.