How can I tell if my drug use is an addiction?

Dr. Mark Reynolds

In brief: Addiction

A harmful pattern of use characterized by tolerance, withdrawal, using more of the substance than intended, persistent desire or unsuccessful attempts to cut down or stop using, significant periods of time spent using or obtaining the substance at the expense of other major life responsibilities, and continuing to use despite the knowledge of significant adverse effects on your life.

In brief: Addiction

Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Douglas Laipple

In brief: Stop using them.

If you can go a month without using and are perfectly functional according to other non-users who know you, then you are probably not addicted.
Does that mean you should go back to using? If you hesitated in your answer to that question, then you either are addicted or you will be. Get professional help.

In brief: Stop using them.

Dr. Douglas Laipple
Dr. Douglas Laipple
Dr. Vicken Poochikian