Are there different types of breast reconstruction surgery?

Dr. Rimma Finkel
Surgery - Plastics

Though there are various types of reconstructions, expanders, implants, pedicled flaps, free flaps, and combinations of these, not every reconstruction is right for every patient.
The type of reconstruction depends on the patient, there confounding medical problems and what other treatment they will need. The best idea is to speak with a board certified plastic surgeon to have questions answered.

Dr. Rimma Finkel
Dr. Rimma Finkel
Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery

In brief: 2 basic types

There are implant reconstructions (behind the chest wall muscle) and tissue reconstructions.
The latter include skin and fat from other areas (i.e. The lower abdoment /tummy tuck) and usually the muscular blood supply. Fee flap options often use microvascular techniques to spare muscle. Combos of the two types can be done too. See an experienced plastic surgeon for your best indiv option.

In brief: 2 basic types

Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. David Yan
Surgery - Plastics

Reconstructive surgery may be needed following mastectomy, lumpectomy, and sometimes for congenital defects.
Tissue expanders and implants are commonly chosen, but other options exist such as free flaps, pedicled flaps, and fat grafting. Not all are appropriate for every person, so speak with a board certified plastic surgeon to help decide what the best choice is for you.

Dr. David Yan
Dr. David Yan
Dr. Richard Zienowicz
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Many

Implant reconstruction is far and away the most common choice by patient and surgeon.
Not everyone is a candidate for this however and more elaborate surgeries including pedicled (still attached to the body) and many types of free flaps (microsurgically reattached after harvesting from another part of the body) are available.

In brief: Many

Dr. Richard Zienowicz
Dr. Richard Zienowicz

Most commonly after a mastectomy the breast is reconstructed using an implant.
There are however other options such as muscle flaps using the rectus or lattismus muscles. The type of reconstruction varies depending on each patient.

Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Implant & flap

Flaps less and less popular due to donor site morbidity, more time in hosp and more scar of reconstructed mound.
Most female plastic surgeons would choose implants regardless of how they reconstruct thier own pts. New techniques have almost eliminated capsular contracture. Newest method= fat transfer can be done in the office but little nationwide experience.

In brief: Implant & flap

Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Hoang Nguyen
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Implants or Tissue

Options for breast reconstruction following mastectomy are: 1) Tissue expanders followed by implants, 2) Tissue flap reconstruction, including TRAM, DIEP flap, and other flaps, 3) Combination of flap and implant (latissimus + implant), and 4) Prosthesis -- meaning no reconstruction and wearing a prosthesis.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each type. Have a discussion with your surgeon.

In brief: Implants or Tissue

Dr. Hoang Nguyen
Dr. Hoang Nguyen
Dr. Barry Cohen
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: There

Are numerous and far ranging choices.
A good plastic surgeon can review them based on your anatomy.

In brief: There

Are numerous and far ranging choices.
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Reconstruction

If you are entertaining flap reconstruction then research the plastic surgeons in your area who focus on techniques like the diep flap, tug/tmg flap, sgap and pap flap.
Type these in a search along with your city or state. Alternatively look at the asrm and asps websites.

In brief: Reconstruction

Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: Breast Recon truth

Studies now show that women with reconstruction favor flap types.
The reconstruction under the muscle leaves the patient with a firm-ie somewhat hard breast.More like two large gum drops stuck on chest that have little or no movement.Microvascular reconstruction can leave a patient with better satisfaction and self-image, but it is more difficult to find surgeons and more involved-can have complic.

In brief: Breast Recon truth

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Ergun Kocak
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes, there are sever

Yes, there are several different types of breast reconstruction.
The main point to understand when comparing these options is that every one of them has potential advantages and disadvantages. When I discuss these options with my patients, I encourage them to make a list of the “pros” and “cons” for each type of reconstruction. But I don’t think my opinion should be their only source. I encourage

In brief: Yes, there are sever

Dr. Ergun Kocak
Dr. Ergun Kocak
Dr. Jane Van Dis