After someone is diagnosed with breast cancer, do they start treatment right away?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
I advise my breast cancer patients to begin treatment within 1 month of diagnosis.
The first line of therapy is usually surgery, which will also provide the necessary information to stage the cancer; this information is used to guide further therapy, such as radiation- and/or chemotherapy. On occasion, i advise chemotherapy first to shrink the tumor to facilitate a lump-x rather than mast-x.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
4 comments
Dr. Kathryn Wagner
There is data to show that delaying some treatments such as chemo or radiation beyond a certain length of time is associated with worse overall survival and disease free survival in breast cancer
Dr. Kathryn Wagner
Thsat doesnt' mean its an emergency to get to treatment usually, you have time to research your options and make informed decisions, get second opinions etc. I get nervous when patients delay treatment longer than about 6 weeks, makes me worried about denial.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: As soon as possible
Staging will need to be established to guide treatment and goal of therapy.
Surgical resection on the breast mass- many times would be the first to do in abscence of distant metastases. Then followed adjuvant chemot , adjuvant radiation, hormonal therapy as indicated. Sometimes, chemo is given prior to surgery to shrink the cancer. Treatment post surgery has to be started within 3 months post-op.

In brief: As soon as possible
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Generally
I tell my patients that once we have decided to operation, you should do it within the month.

In brief: Generally
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery