After someone is diagnosed with breast cancer, do they start treatment right away?

Yes. I advise my breast cancer patients to begin treatment within 1 month of diagnosis. The first line of therapy is usually surgery, which will also provide the necessary information to stage the cancer; this information is used to guide further therapy, such as radiation- and/or chemotherapy. On occasion, i advise chemotherapy first to shrink the tumor to facilitate a lump-x rather than mast-x.
As soon as possible. Staging will need to be established to guide treatment and goal of therapy. Surgical resection on the breast mass- many times would be the first to do in abscence of distant metastases. Then followed adjuvant chemot , adjuvant radiation, hormonal therapy as indicated. Sometimes, chemo is given prior to surgery to shrink the cancer. Treatment post surgery has to be started within 3 months post-op.
Generally. I tell my patients that once we have decided to operation, you should do it within the month.