What type of anesthesia is typically used for knee surgery? Will I be awake?

Several options. Knee arthroscopy can sometimes be done under local anesthesia with sedation. Often, major operations such as knee or hip replacements are done under spinal or epidural anesthesia. Usually, the patient is given sedation in order to nap comfortably during the surgery. General anesthesia is always an option. The anesthesiologist will discuss all the choices before surgery.
3 types. General, regional, and local with sedation are the main options for knee surgeries. Each has their benefits. Discuss with your surgeon and anesthesiologist to decide what's best in your situation.
Knee scope? Good question. It depends partly on your medical history and the discussion with your anesthesiologist. The way i see it. I would like to watch the surgery on the video monitor so a spinal without sedation works great. That said if i had no interest in viewing my surgery, going to sleep works great too. Bottom line is, its all very safe.
No. For knee surgery you will be given general anesthesia. This means that you will be asleep, with a breathing tube down your throat helping you breath during the surgery.
Regional anesthesia. The preference is sometimes driven by the surgeon, but commonly the choice is a regional anesthetic. There seems to be some benefits with regards to postoperative thrombosis and pain management. You will be sedated and quite possible have no recollection of the operation.