What can I eat and drink while i'm fasting before anesthesia?

Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology
In brief: CLEAR FLIUIDS
See npo answer. You shoudl drink clear fluids npo is 20 years out of date and worse for many reasons.

In brief: CLEAR FLIUIDS
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Kamel Ghandour
Dr. Edsall is right. We are updating our understanding of the appropriate fasting before and operation or anesthesia. For now, if you follow your nurses and doctors directions and drink clear transparent liquids up to two (2) hours before your operation you should be fine.
In brief: Nothing
If you are undergoing general anesthesia, you may not eat or drink anything for at least eight hours prior to your procedure.
This includes water. The reason for this is that the anesthesiologist wants to keep your stomach empty to prevent contents from getting into your airway during the induction of anesthesia.

In brief: Nothing
Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Michael Zadeh
Dr. Jon Krook
Surgery
In brief: Nothing
It is best to eat or drink nothing in the period before anesthesia.
Commonly this is nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

In brief: Nothing
Dr. Jon Krook
Dr. Jon Krook
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: See below
The anesthesiologist will ask you to eat nothing for at least 6 hours before the operation.
They may allow you to have some clear liquids (water, apple juice, coke) up until two hours before surgery. Always check with your anesthesiologist for their preference. I suggest to my patients that they have light meals with plenty of liquids the day before surgery. Good luck with your operation.

In brief: See below
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery