How do I know if I am having identical or fraternal twins?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: Depends
You can determine it based on ultrasound if there is only one placenta.
However, often times you need to have babies tested after they are born. Even twins that "look" identical may not actually be identical.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
2 comments
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Some times blood typing is done for twins in the hospital, if the twins have different blood types then they would not be identical, conversely, the same blood type would not prove identity.
Dr. Patrick Weix
If the twins share a sac inside the uterus, such as monochorionic /diamniotic or monochorionic/monoamniotic, then they are identical.
Dr. Bruce Pierce
In brief: Typically you can
Tell from an ultrasound, looking at the placenta or the sex of the babies, but sometimes you have to wait until they are born.

In brief: Typically you can
Dr. Bruce Pierce
Dr. Bruce Pierce