Will taking vitamins prevent heart disease?

Dr. Bryan Levey
In brief: Unlikely
Heart disease may be effected by some vitamins, but mostly it is a life-style disease.
You are far more likely to lessen your chance of developing heart disease by eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly. It won't matter how many vitamins you take if you don't eat well and don't exercise.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Most likely but
A recent study suggests mutivits don't prevent heart disease in men but many other studies suggest vitamins are likely to prevent heart disease.
In his book stop america's #1 killer dr. Thomas levy argues vit c deficiency is a main cause of heart disease. Vitamins that lower homocysteine (b6, b12, folate) reduce risk. Vit e prevents LDL cholesterol from oxidizing.Vit d & k likely help. See comment:.

In brief: Most likely but
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
2 comments
Dr. Randy Baker
There was a study published this week that found multivitamins did not prevent heart disease in doctors. However, the vitamin used was Centrum Silver, which is not a particularly high quality supplement. It has only 60 mg of Vit C, 45 IU of synthetic Vit E (which I feel is toxic based on other studies), 400 IU of D, 3 mg of B6, 10 mcg of Vit K etc. The doses of those that would be much more likely to show benefit are Vit C 500 mg, Natural E with mixed tocopherols 400 IU, Vit D 4000 units, 25 mg of B6, 1000 mcg of Vit K and so on, so I believe all this study proves is that small doses of poorly-formulated vitamins don't prevent heart disease! see http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?Id=557
Dr. Randy Baker
Your question lead me to review the study published in this week's JAMA that purported to show that multivitamins don't prevent heart disease. I have written an extensive commentary on this at http://drrandybaker.com/
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine