Are imuran (azathioprine) & betaferon effective treatments for ms?

Dr. Djamchid Lotfi
Neurology

In brief: Yes they can be

The evidence is stronger for beta interferons (avonex, Rebif and betaseron) than it is for immuran.
Interferons are fda approved and immuran is not (for ms) they all have a modest but definite effect in reducing the number of attacks in remitting relapsing forms the effect varies from patient to patient.

In brief: Yes they can be

In brief: Modest at best

Neither would be my first choice at this time.
Prior to our newer potent agents, European neurologists did use such combinations, but now with emergence of potent agents, such as Tysabri (natalizumab) or Gilenya, this approach makes very little sense, and likely not sufficiently effective.

In brief: Modest at best

In brief: No

Betaseron (interferon beta 1b) is, but immuran is not.

In brief: No

Dr. Arnon Rubin