Are prenatal vitamins harmful to the mother?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Generally not but...

I general prenatal vits are good for the mother. However, they contain folic acid, proven to prevent neural tube defects in babies, but there is one study suggesting high doses of synthetic Folic Acid may increase breast cancer risk.
Safest choice may be one that provides the natural 5-mthf form of folate such as basic prenatal by thorne research and prenatal pro by designs for health.See comment:.

In brief: Generally not but...

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Here is the study showing a possible link between taking 5 mg of folic acid during pregnancy and risk of breast cancer- however, 5 mg is a much higher dose than most prenatals and this was a small study that is not yet conclusive: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC535452/
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice

In brief: No

The fetus will absorb the nutrients needed from the mother. If the mother did not take prenatal vitamins she might become deficient herself.
So prenatal vitamins benefit the baby and the mother.

In brief: No

Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block