Which nuts will lower cholesterol?

Dr. Maritza Baez

In brief: Almonds

Nuts like almonds, pistachios and walnuts contain high amounts of unsaturated fat ("good” fats) which help lower total cholesterol and LDL (“bad” cholesterol) levels.
Ideally, high amounts of unsaturated fats and lower amounts of saturated fat should be found. Walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, and pistachios appear to have the highest amounts of unsaturated fats and lowest amounts of saturated fats.

In brief: Almonds

Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Doug Hansen

In brief: Several.

According to various studies, nuts in general may cause a small reduction (around 5 to 7%) in LDL and total cholesterol and a slight bump in healthy cholesterol.
My favorite nuts are those rich in healthy fatty acids such as walnuts and almonds.

In brief: Several.

Dr. Doug Hansen
Dr. Doug Hansen
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith

In brief: Nuts and cholesterol

Almonds, pecans

In brief: Nuts and cholesterol

Almonds, pecans
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine