What is the function of HDL cholesterol?

Dr. James Underberg
In brief: Many Functions
Hdl cholesterol has many functions.
Often thought of as protective, it brings cholesterol from the artery wall back to the liver. It also acts as an anti-oxidant, and an anti-inflammatory agent. It may be involved in helping the artery wall dilate , and may also be involved in fighting some infections. Hdl may also deliver cholesterol to organs that need it during stress. Can be very complex.

In brief: Many Functions
Hdl cholesterol has many functions.
Dr. James Underberg
Dr. James Underberg
Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology
In brief: Housekeeper
The hdl-c is like the garbage collector of the blood.
It removes cholesterol from places it should not be, and carries it back to the liver. I tell my patients that the ldl's are the elephants in your parade, and the hdl's are the pooper-scoopers!

In brief: Housekeeper
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Good cholesterol
Known as the good cholesterol, HDL carries cholesterol to your liver to be cleared/removed from the body, thereby lowering your cholesterol level.
For men, the recommended level is > 40 mg/dl, for women, it's > 50 mg/dl.

In brief: Good cholesterol
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham