Is it possible that neither of my parents can have the sickle cell trait but I do?

Dr. Scott Diede
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Highly unlikely...

It is theoretically possible for someone to acquire a new mutation (de novo mutation) that is not inherited from a parent, but this has not been described for the sickle cell mutation.
Statistically speaking, if you have sickle cell trait, one your biological parents also has to have it.

In brief: Highly unlikely...

Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management

In brief: Sickle cell trait

This is not possible - in order to have the trait one parent gives you a normal gene and the other the abnormal gene.
If you have two abnormal genes then you have the disease. Having the trait offers you protection against malaria and your survival is better.

In brief: Sickle cell trait

Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Vikram Patel