How do I do a self-check for breast cancer?

See full answer. Breast self-examinations should be performed about once a month, ideally 7-10 days after your menstrual cycle if you are having periods. There are various techniques but the important point is to cover the entire breast, not just the area under the nipple. Your focus should be on getting to know the normal texture of your breast, and any changes should be reported to your physician.
Monthly self exam. The new way is called the "vertical stripe method." you carefully feel your breast tissue in an up-and-down pattern so you don't miss any areas. You can learn to do this by watching this video: http://www.Imaginis.Com/breast-health/breast-self-examination-video. (it's a little old-fashioned-looking, but it's the correct method.).
Self-Aware. The current recommendations are that you are self-aware of your breasts so that any changes or new masses could be reported to your doctor. Recommendations for monthly self breast exams have been decreased.