Is hair loss preventable?

Yes. There are various strategies for hair retention. Supplements such as biotin can help. Medications like Propecia and topical medications like rogaine (minoxidil) are also helpful.
Hair Loss Prevention. In most cases, yes, ♂♀ hair loss can be prevented ; treated. Hereditary hair loss is a condition that gets worse with time without treatment. The earlier you start, the better. Medications (oral ; topical), laser therapy, prp + stemcells, nutritional supplementation and minimally-invasive hair transplant are among the tools an abhrs-board-certified hair restoration physician specialist would use.
Adrenal support. If u have male pattern hair loss adrenal support helps, if it is other areas supporting thyroid, hormones, detox chemicals in mouth due to fillings will help.
Treatment available. Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia are the two medications in the U.S. For treatment (and "prevention") of baldness, mainly male-pattern baldness. A primary care doctor or a dermatologist can evaluate and start treatment. Results vary from person to person, but one's "appearance" is usually improved. There is no cure for baldness, so the medications must be continued for the benefit to continue.