Is there a difference between sunblock and sunscreen?

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Nope
Sunscreens work via 2 possible ways: 1) chemical blocks that breakdown the uv rays as they pass through the skin and 2) physical blocks that prevent the uv rays from getting to the skin.
I recommend the physical blocks (zinc and titanium) because they have a very good safety profile and work very effectively. If you are going to be in the sun - use a minimum of spf 15 - follow product directions.

In brief: Nope
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
In brief: Not anymore.
In the past the two were used interchangeably.
.. But sometimes they weren't... Block should be better than screen, right? Confusing, huh? Well to clear up confusion, the fda recently (6/11) banned the use of the term 'sunblock' and the ban will be enacted in a year. So it's just sunscreen now.

In brief: Not anymore.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela