Is it inadvisable to swim after acupuncture?

Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: Yes.

Some general guidelines including not swimming or bathing right after (few hours) acupuncture.
I'm not aware of any studies - and there probably aren't any - about specific time periods. If you think about it, you just had a bunch of tiny holes punched in your skin, so i'd give it a day or two before you go swimming in a public pool or the ocean.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: No

I advise my acupuncture patients not to engage in any strenuous exercise the day of treatment.
The exercise can lead to a poorer outcome. Of the acupuncturists i know, the minimum time they use before returning to exercise is 4 hours to get full benefits of the treatment.

In brief: No

Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine