How to tell the difference between a kidney stone and lower back pain?

Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Not always easy

Kidney stone pain is generally unaffected by movement.
Patients often bend and twist trying to get relief. Pain often radiates down into groin and may change in nature as the stone moves. Low back pain tends to be associated with an inciting event, tends to change with position and is often relieved by rest. Sometimes radiates to buttock or leg and may be felt across entire back.

In brief: Not always easy

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Cory Annis
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Movement

I agree with my colleague above.
Also kidney stone patients move restlessly trying to find a comfortable position & frequently have nausea/vomiting. Back pain patients try hard not to move, and nausea is rarely present. Kidney stones can produce blood in urine, while back pain can't.

In brief: Movement

I agree with my colleague above.
Dr. Cory Annis
Dr. Cory Annis
Dr. Vikram Patel