The inside of my upper lip is swollen and sore after smoking hookah. Could this be because of contact with the tobacco or smoke? I've never encountered this before in the past and the inside of my lip is a little red or white and swollen.

Dr. Gutti Rao
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Burnt lip

It appears to me you might have burnt your lip or the heat / tobacco caused abrasion on the inside of lip.
Usually it should clear up in a few days, if does not please seek medical attention.

In brief: Burnt lip

Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao
David Escobar

In brief: Likely infection

This is a common means of transmitting bacteria and viruses from one person to another. You've probably been infected with a virus that causes coldsores.
However, there is also the possibility that you've been given a sexually transmitted infection, if the other people using the hookah were infected. It's wise to not share oral secretions unless you really know the person/people.

In brief: Likely infection

David Escobar
David Escobar
Answer assisted by David Escobar, Medical Student