How does sunscreen prevent sunburns?

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Sunscreen
Sunscreens work via 2 possible ways: 1) chemical blocks that breakdown the uv rays as they pass through the skin and 2) physical blocks that prevent the uv rays from getting to the skin.
I recommend the physical blocks (zinc and titanium) because they have a very good safety profile and work very effectively. If you are going to be in the sun - use a minimum of spf 15 - follow product directions.

In brief: Sunscreen
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Joseph Mele
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: It's a barier.
Sunscreens are a barier to the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
You are less likely to get burned in the shade, but if you are in the sun, sunscreen helps to protect your skin. It is very important to reapply sunscreen frequently, and especially after swimming, as it is continuously being worn off.

In brief: It's a barier.
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine