What chemicals are in a flu shot?

Check insert. Regular flu shots carry a warning of egg allergy. The flu virus in routine shots is a dead virus so you can;t "get the flu" from the shot ( a common misunderstanding). The nasal flu vaccine is not a dead virus and is not recommended in pregnant women. As far as preservatives, or chemicals they vary from company to company.
Read the insert. Each dose has an insert available listing all ingredients that are involved to make the vaccine safer and stronger.
Mercury-free vaccine. Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative used in multi-dose vaccine vials. It is not known to be dangerous, but why get injected with mercury? You can order a mercury-free flu shot, like I do, for a few dollars more, in a single-dose vial, or, better, in a pre-filled glass syringe, which reduces chances of contamination by office staff during syringe-filling.