Can athletes benefit from fish oil?

Hype. Krill oil and fish oil are the new snake oil, both are high in omega 3 fatty acids which are extremely fragile. Omega 3 fish oils reduce triglycerides by impairing the liver's ablility to make them. However the oxidative stress caused by fish oil actually raises LDL cholesterol. Some day we may use the phrase "this is just more fish /krill oil" or "here comes the fish/krill oil salesman".
Fish oil/athletes. Yes. A major deficiency in the american diet are essential fatty acids e.g. Omega 3 oils from fish. Because omega 3 oils are part of the essential nutrients necessary for optimum health, anyone (including athletes) who is deficient would be healthier if they would optimize their intake of omega 3 fish oils.