Is cervical cancer really that serious?

Yes. Like any cancer, cervical cancer can be deadly. In late-stage cervical cancer (stage ivb), only approximately 9.3% of women will survive for five years after her diagnosis. Luckily, the utilization of the pap test for screening women for cervical cancer has significantly reduced the amount of women that develop this deadly disease. The hpv shot can prevent some of the major causes of this cancer.
Yes. If treated, 25 to 35% of women who are diagnosed at stage iii and less than 15% diagnosed at stage IV are alive after 5 years. 80-90% diagnosed at stage 1 will still be alive in 5 years. This cancer affects 16 in 100, 000 women worldwide each year and kills about 9 in 100, 000 women worldwide each year.