What causes osteoporosis?

Genetic factors. At age 31 genetic factors and estrogen deficiency would be the most likely causes. Less commonly cortisone or other steroids, anorexia, immobilization, and a variety of drugs such as blockers of stomach acid secretion and antidepressive agents may cause bone loss. Long term vitamin d deficiency may also be a factor.
Bone remodeling. Hi. Bone remodeling is a process that goes on throughout life, where areas of micro-damage are resorbed and new, healthy bone is filled back in (formation). This bone resorption-formation cycle is mismatched after about age 30 (in women & men), so resorption exceeds formation, & bone mass is lost. Prednisone, menopause, hormonal calcium disorders, etc accelerate resorption. Fracture risk goes up.
Multiple factors. Osteoporosis is caused by a problem with your bone metabolism. Some of these metabolic factors include low testosterone, low Progesterone and low thyroid hormone. Low vitamin d, low protein diet and lack of excercise. Mineral deficiencies including calcium, boron, magnesium and silica. Immune sytem problems can also effect your bones. Immune stress increases cortisol and osteoclast activity.
Metabolic disease. Osteoporosis is a metabolic disease caused by lack of sunshine, poor quality diets (filled with junk food), lack of exercise, hormonal imbalances, immune system imbalances.