My future husband won't go to counseling.?

Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: He must want it

Your future husband must want the counseling for himself, and no one can force him into it, and expect good results.
My first psychology professor told us a joke that is clinically as valid back then as it is today, as follows: "How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb? Only one, but only if the light bulb wants to change." Are you 100% sure he is Mr. Right?

In brief: He must want it

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Susan Feingold
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Why not?

I guess this could be a bad sign if you're already having problems and your future husband refuses to address them. Couple relationship problems are common, yet if you are with a man who refuses to work on them, this may be a sign of what's to come in the long haul.
Sounds to me like you may need to have a serious discussion about your concerns before proceeding.

In brief: Why not?

Dr. Susan Feingold
Dr. Susan Feingold
Dr. Kathryn Seifert
Clinical Psychology

In brief: IndividualCounseling

If you feel counseling is important, but your future husband does not, maybe going to counseling yourself may be helpful, this way you can decide what you might want to do about the situation.
You can only change the person sitting in your chair. If you can't change him, can you reduce your stress about the situation by talking to a counselor?

In brief: IndividualCounseling

Dr. Kathryn Seifert
Dr. Kathryn Seifert
Dr. Vicken Poochikian