Is hyperbaric oxygen therapy really good for subdural hematoma?

Dr. Bikash Bose
Neurosurgery
In brief: No .
Removal of the hematoma and relieving pressure on the brain is the treatment for subdural hematomas.

In brief: No .
Dr. Bikash Bose
Dr. Bikash Bose
Thanks much for this input Dr. Bose.
In brief: I haven't been
Able to locate good studies addressing this issue.
Subdural hematoma requires surgical intervention. Hbot has been used after the fact for brain injuries (but this is not standard care). I am not sure that there is a lot of hard data on this. I can not answer your question.Maybe one or more of the other healthtap hyperbaric specialists has more information. I think i will refer this question to.

In brief: I haven't been
one of the Healthtap neurosurgeons.
Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care
In brief: No, remove hematoma
A subdural hematoma causes problems boy because of the injury to the brain as well as the mass that the hematoma is.
If the mass is large it will cause pressure on the brain. The hyperbaric oxygen therapy will help heal brain tissue but only after blood mass is removed surgically. If the hematoma is not removed oxygen will not have much ability to heal brain tissue.

In brief: No, remove hematoma
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care
In brief: Subdural hematoma
There is no proof that hyperbaric oxygen can help with subdural hematoma.

In brief: Subdural hematoma
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Eric Weisman