Are Suboxone withdrawals better than roxy withdrawals?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Not necessarily

I have heard patients tell me that suboxone withdrawal is not as bad and have also heard it's worse.
It depends on from how high of a dose one is stopping whatever opiate they've been taking. It is much easier and safer to try and gradually decrease the opiate dose until one is stopping from a very low dose and not a higher dose. The higher the dose, the worse the withdrawal when stopping.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Chris Sadeh
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Suboxone

withdrawals will last longer, due to the very long half-life of suboxone.
A medically supervised taper will help manage this, but expect a long course.

Roxy withdrawals are also miserable, not usually medically managed, but can be limited to a week's time due to the much shorter half-life. Of course, the immediate detox / withdrawal is only the first part of a successful recovery.

In brief: Suboxone

Dr. Chris Sadeh
Dr. Chris Sadeh
Dr. William Newton
Pain Management

In brief: Depends

There is no answer. This is variable from patient to patient.
Suboxone is used to help detox from opioid dependence and addiction. If successful, withdrawal from oxycodone should be minimal and then you can be gradually weaned from the suboxone to limit withdrawal in order to be free from the dependency.

In brief: Depends

Dr. William Newton
Dr. William Newton
Dr. Vikram Patel