Can flu shots make you sick?

Not like Flu can! Typically, the most you'll get is a little soreness at the site of the shot. Low fever, mild rash, or a little "yucky" feeling for a day or so may happen, but flu shots can not give you the flu. Period. It's a dead vaccine and can't cause the flu. The risk of getting the sick and getting bad complications is sooo much higher with the flu compared to any form of the vaccine. No comparison.
Uncommon. Some folks do get a mild flu for a few days after the injection. There has been controversy about potential neurological complications from flu shots, ever since the "swine flu" scare, but still not clear if these shots cause an acute nerve disorder called guillain-barre. I usually advise my ms pts to get the shots, but avoid any live viral ingestions such as intranasal. Shots seem safe.