What is stage 3 ovarian cancer, how do you stage ovarian cancer?

Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: Stages I - IV.

Stage i ovarian cancer means the cancer is only located in the ovaries.
Stage ii is when the cancer has spread to other organs in the pelvis, such as the uterus. Stage iii occurs when the cancer spreads beyond the pelvis to other abdominal organs and lymph nodes. Stage iv, the most advanced stage, means the cancer has spread (metastasized) to distant organs like the lungs or liver.

In brief: Stages I - IV.

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. David Fishman
General Practice

In brief: Ovarian cancer

Ovarian cancer is staged based on surgical documentation of spread of disease.
We use a standardized system to determine the stage which corresponds to prognosis and affects the appropriate treatment options. Staging is found in tables from the society of gynecologic oncologist sgo website as well as the american cancer society site.

In brief: Ovarian cancer

Dr. David Fishman
Dr. David Fishman