Can you really prevent carpal tunnel syndrome for avid computer users?

Yes! Check your set up: elbows bent 90 degrees, wrists straight. Take breaks every 20 minutes (vary your activity, do something else). How long do you work on a computer or text without taking a break? Imagine hopping on one foot for that long! you might get sore or tired really fast. Same goes for our wrists. Good luck.
Yes. Agree with dr. Yep. Make a paradigm shift: think about yourself like an athlete. No matter what the sport, even highly trained athletes don't just get to the ball park and start to play. They warm up, they stretch, they take breaks as needed. And none of them are playing for as long as a typical worker works each day i.E 8 hours or more.