How is breast cancer inherited between family members?

BRCA Mutations. The genetic mutations responsible for the hereditary type of breast cancer are called BRCA mutations. If either parent has this mutation, there's a 50:50 chance that any of their children will inherit this mutation. Even with this mutation, the chance of breast cancer is not 100%; it's closer to 60%(in women). Keep in mind that only 10-15% of all breast cancers in the US are the hereditary type.
Aut Dom. The brca mutations that cause hereditary breast and ovarian cancers are transmitted in an autosomal dominant pattern. This mean if one of your parents has the mutation, you have a 50% chance of having it.
Gene defects. Defects in genes that repair or control cell growth can predispose one to get cancer. These genes can sometimes be transferred from one generation to the next. There are several hereditary breast cancer genes, the most well recognized of which are the brca1 and 2.