Is ADHD an actual excuse for a lot of misbehaved children?

Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Nope

Adhd is an inherited neurobiologic disorder affecting frontal lobe function worsened by intrauterine neurotrauma/alcohol/ nicotine exposure.
Mri studies have shown it to exist. In fact if it goes untreated, the person's brain will never grow to normal size.See health my files on adhd or http://www.Nimh.Nih.Gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/complete-index.Shtml.

In brief: Nope

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Depends

Adhd is the best-studied psychiatric disorder in chidlren; types of impairment, including "misbehavior" are well documented, as are treatment options.
That does not mean that all children who misbehave have adhd. Many do not. Chronic misbehavior, however, is a problem that needs assessment and intervention, whatever the cause.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Jennifer Diabo

In brief: In some cases, yes

Adhd is a real disorder. There is a biological reason that children develop adhd.
Children with true adhd cannot control their behavior. Often times, they want to, but they cannot. Medications and behavioral therapy can work wonders in children with adhd. That being said, I have seen parents in practice that have difficulty setting boundaries, rules, and consequences for their kids so they misbehv.

In brief: In some cases, yes

Dr. Jennifer Diabo
Dr. Jennifer Diabo
Dr. Cindy Juster