What can I expect during an ultrasound?

It varies. Ultrasounds can be done either with a vaginal probe or an abdominal probe. The vaginal probe is inserted in the vagina and provides good views of the uterus, ovaries, and tubes. This is done for early pregnancies and also for non-pregnant patients. An abdominal probe is placed on your belly and is often used later in pregnancy to evaluate the growing baby, and also evaluate the placenta.
No pain. Ultrasounds are done in early pregnancy to prove the baby is alive, dates and how many are there. This is done vaginally before 8 weeks, abdominally after. 20 week us will give you pictures of your baby along with a look for birth defects. Later in pregnancy, us can be done to assess growth or to check fetal well-being. Some women will notice a little warmth but typically no discomfort.