How much zinc is used to make sunblock?

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Zinc Oxide

Zinc (physical) sunblocks come in many formats with many different concentrations of zinc.
I do recommend the physical blocks (zinc and titanium) because they have a very good safety profile and work very effectively.

In brief: Zinc Oxide

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Metals are necessary

You must remember to use both a uvb and uva sunscreen.
Simply, uvb causes skin cancer and uva are more "aging rays" to protect from uvb look for octinoxate. For uva, you need a metal (zinc or titanium oxide). These metals "reflect" the suns rays away from you. You want at least 9 or 18% of these metals in your sunscreen to give you full protection. Btw there is no spf system for uva.

In brief: Metals are necessary

Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville