How can I get cervical cancer?

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine
In brief: Through sex mostly
The human papilloma virus, or hpv, is spread by sexual intercourse and increases the risk of cervical, anal and penile cancers.
This is why the hpv vaccine lowers the risk of cervical cancer and is recommended (for complete preventive recommendations, see the my health checklist iphone app). Smoking is the only consistent nonsexual risk factor, according to the us preventive services task force.

In brief: Through sex mostly
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Laura Webb
The AAP has recently recommended that BOYS and GIRLS are vaccinated. This is great news as males can carry the virus and pass it on to females who end up getting cervical cancer.
Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: From HPV infection
The most common cause of cervical cancer is infection with the human papilloma virus (hpv).
It is acquired through sexual contact, consensual or not. Women over 21 years of age should have pap smears to check for cervical cancer and hpv infection. Cigarette smoking and immune system dysfunction are other risk factors for cervical cancer. Women & teens can get Gardasil hpv vaccine for prevention.

In brief: From HPV infection
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student