What exactly are alternative therapies?

Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice

In brief: Depends

Some say it is anything not taught in medical school.
Others say it is anything they don't know about or never learned. However, as an osteopathic physician. I was taught to find the underlying cause of a medical problem and treat it and while that may be different from what many doctors do, it is not alternative medicine.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block

In brief: Typically non-FDA

Therapies. The fda has a process for approving drugs, surgeries, devices, etc.
For treatment of conditions. For example, topiramate is fda approved for migraines because it was proven more effective than placebo during rigorous research trials. Acupuncture had never gone though such a process, hence, not fda approved for migraines.

In brief: Typically non-FDA

Dr. Matthew Kozminski
Dr. Matthew Kozminski