Why does my lower back hurt when I drink soda

Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Risk of arthritis!

Soda consumption is associated with increased risk of diabetes & heart disease, but a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (7/2014) found that sugary sodas when consumed regularly can increase by 63% the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
More likely than not however your situational back pain reflects referred discomfort from a distended gut due to the fizz in soda.

In brief: Risk of arthritis!

Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Not sure

Not sure, but soda is terrible for you and is at least partially responsible for the obesity epidemic in this country (and that includes diet soda too).

In brief: Not sure

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld