How is ovarian cancer different from metastatic ovarian cancer?

Related to spread. Metastatic refers to a cancer that has spread from the original site that it originated from to a more distant site in the body. For example, if a woman had ovarian cancer and it spread to the lungs then this would be consider metastatic disease.
Ovarian Cancer. Cancer restricted to the ovary itself differs from metastatic disease in that the latter has spread beyond the ovary to involve adjacent tissues, or spread to the abdomen or pelvis, or distant sites. 5-yr survival rates for cancer that is confined to the ovary is 90%, 70% if spread to the pelvis, 10-20% if it spreads to the abdomen, and less than 5% if spread outside the abdomen and pelvis.