Broke my ankle & bone to little toe. Why are toes on that foot still swollen?

In brief: Gravity

I've said it before and i'll say it again, gravity is the culprit here.
You can expect swelling for up to 6 months from any injury or surgery to the lower extremities.

In brief: Gravity

Dr. Melissa Robitaille
Dr. Melissa Robitaille
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Inflammation

Initial healing begins with inflammation.
A by-product of the inflammation is swelling. Unless the injured foot is elevated above heart level, swelling can get quite massive. Even with proper elevation, the foot can remain swollen when dependent for 6-8 weeks.

In brief: Inflammation

Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan

In brief: Trauma = Swelling

Toes have no place to swell except outward.
No muscles or fat in the toes and trauma will cause swelling. Apply light compression to the toes with elastic type tape known as vet wrap or coban. The swelling may never go back to normal.

In brief: Trauma = Swelling

Dr. Clark Pillsbury
Dr. Clark Pillsbury
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine