Is hearing loss preventable?

Absolutley! Some hearing loss is genetic and is not preventable. However hearing loss can and does occur with repeated and prolonged noise trauma. When in doubt... Wear hearing protection: mowing, firing weapons, avoiding loud music (headphones or not)...
Yes and No. Genetics, aging and infection are three causes of hearing loss that you may not be able to prevent. But noise induced hearing loss is not only preventable but avoiding loud noises either with iPods or industrial noise, can prevent one of the most common causes of hearing loss in western society.