Can I take fish oil to help with my cold?

Yes and No. Yes you can take fish oil but i don't believe it will help your cold- but it won't hurt it either. The very best treatment know of for colds is pelargonium sidoides, sold in health food stores & pharmacies as umcka; it is safe, affordable & proven effective for colds, bronchitis & sinus infections.
FIshy Mystery Still. Still a mystery. We do know that that fish oil helps lower high triglycerides [a kind of fat], and may also reduce your risk of dying from a heart attack. But we don't know about colds. A recent study showed that if pregnant moms took fish oil, their babies had fewer colds and got better more quickly. Still don't know if fish oil will help everyone's cold though. Stay tuned. Hope you feel better.
Fish oil. Not really rigorous scientific data for many of the fish oil claims. Look into the background when you hear things about 'health food' claims. Fish oil has more data for some things than most.