How is a screening for cervical cancer performed?

PAP smear. During a female pelvic exam the gynecologist will scrape the outside of the cervix and smear it on a microscope slide. The pathologist will look at this under a microscope and give a report. If its of concern then a sampling or biopsy if the cervix is taken to confirm or exclude a cancer.
Pap smear. This can be performed by you gynecologist or sometimes your primary care physician. It is done as part of the pelvic examination. A swab is brush in and around the cervix. This picks up cervical cells which are then examined to determine if they are abnormal.