How commonly does breast cancer occur?

Depends on Age. Your risk increases with age age 30 . . . . . . 0.44 percent (or 1 in 227) age 40 . . . . . . 1.47 percent (or 1 in 68) age 50 . . . . . . 2.38 percent (or 1 in 42) age 60 . . . . . . 3.56 percent (or 1 in 28) age 70 . . . . . . 3.82 percent (or 1 in 26).
1in8 lifetime risk. Based on recent statistics compiled by the national cancer institute, us women have a lifetime risk of 12% of getting breast cancer. Since this incidence increases with age, a more pertinent statistic is the 10-yr risk based on age. For example, a 40 yr old woman has a 10-yr risk of 1.5%. In contrast, a 60 yr old woman has a 3.5% 10-yr risk.