How do you calculate the risks of the LDL and HDL cholesterol ratio?

Dr. Gary Birnbaum
In brief: Not easily
The LDL and HDL ratio is not routinely advised.
A better calculation is perhaps cholesterol minus hdl-c or non-hdl-c. In many instances this number should not exceed 30 beyond your ldl-c goal which is based on your own risk. If your ldl-c goal is 70 then non-hdl goal is 100 or less. The triglyceride/hdl ratio may be predictive of risk as well as diabetes. Some believe it should be less than 3.

In brief: Not easily
Dr. Gary Birnbaum
Dr. Gary Birnbaum
Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology
In brief: My 2 cents
There is not a ton of data for the ldl-to-hdl ratio, but many of us think it is important.
So, with that, my opinion (based in science) is that a ratio of less than 2-to-1 is important for those with risk for heart disease. For those with heart disease and/or diabetes i like them closer to 1.5-to-1 or less. For those at lower risk, I use 3-to-1 or better. Again, just a lipidologists opinion.

In brief: My 2 cents
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
In brief: (Choles / HDL) < 3.0
It is better to have a high HDL and a low ldl.
Hdl is the good and LDL is the bad cholesterol. Doctors want a patient's total cholesterol divided by HDL to be less than 3.0.

In brief: (Choles / HDL) < 3.0
Dr. Arnon Rubin