How can colon cancer affect the body?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Blockage/Bleeding
Depending on their size and location, colon cancers may cause the above problems.
The bleeding tends to be very slow, like a dripping faucet, and may not be evident by sight. Obstruction can cause a change in bowel habits (constipation, pencil-thin stools) and/or bloating. Like any cancer, there is the potential to spread to other organs, which may cause fatigue, loss of appetite, wt loss, etc.

In brief: Blockage/Bleeding
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Joseph Roosth
Great answer. Having had colon cancer surgery 4 weeks ago I want to weight in. The fatigue and constipation I honestly did not recognize until after I began to recover from the surgery. I had no bleeding at all and my blood count was fine. Two stool occult bloods in the past year prior to diagnosis were negative. If you are over 50 get a colonoscopy. If you have a first degree relative with colon cancer, get your first colonoscopy about 10 years before their age at diagnosis. I have been quite successful at getting my patients to get colonoscopies over the years. I wish I had practiced what I preached. Surgery may have cured me, but I had a complication and it was almost a month before I was 1/2 way normal again. Had I had a colonoscopy at age 50 I probably would have had a lttle polyp only.
Dr. Morton Levitt
Pathology
In brief: Colon Cancer Symptom
The symptoms vary in severity and may start slowly or suddenly.
Symptoms include: abdominal pain and cramping that usually disappears after a bowel movement, abdominal sounds, weight loss, diarrhea, blood or pus in the stools, and rectal pain. If you had ulcerative colitis as an antecedent condition, you may experience joint and skin symptoms, fever, and other exa intestinal manifestations.

In brief: Colon Cancer Symptom
Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Arnon Rubin