Can kidney stones with size of 5mm cause decreased urine output? I was diagnosed yesterday and today I think that my urine output is decreased.

Dr. Quresh Khairullah
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: No

Unless kidney stones are stuck in the ureter, the tube leading from kidney to bladder, it will not result in decrease in urine output, unless both kidneys are simultaneously blocked which is improbably.
If stones get stuck it isvery painful.

In brief: No

If stones get stuck it isvery painful.

In brief: Unlikely

A kidney stone this small and only on one side is unlikely to caused decrease urine output.
The decreased output is most likely due to decreased fluid intake or dehydration.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine